November 20, 2009
I feel compelled to point out that one of my Virgoan quirks is to read the entire archives of every blog that I follow. I am not stalking you, I just… have completist tendencies. I must use every page in a coloring book in consecutive order. I must finish all books I read, even if they suck. I must own each part of a series – if I’m going to buy one, I have to buy them all.
So, the way that this relates to my blogging (and to specifically to Friday’s Awesome Blossom roundup) is that these might not be recent links. And if you’re wondering “How/why are you linking to this thing I wrote two years ago?! Are you mental?!” The answer is… well.. yes. Enjoy anyway.
(Worcester, MA. August 2007.)
- Want to introduce your kids to opera? AskMetafilter has some suggestions.
- I Love You Forever, Just Don’t Scale My House: Some thoughts on a children’s classic.
- Developmental Stages of Children’s Art: In case you’re wondering “What’s he going to do next?” No word on putting bellybuttons in all of your drawings though.
- Famous Muppet Doppelgängers. Sesame Street’s 40th Anniversary may technically be over, but muppets are always awesome. Some of these aren’t Sesame Street muppets anyhow – were you aware that Kermit is the only muppet to crossover from the Muppet Show onto the ‘Street?
- Fairytale Fashion: Sarah Von of Yes and Yes imagines what Disney Princesses might wear in 2009. Also excellent – the followup Fairytale Fashion Round 2 and Dr. Seuss Style.
- Deep Space Sparkle is an amazing blog – I wish I’d had Patty as my art teacher! (Though my art teacher was plenty cool and obviously did alright in the end. She was pretty eccentric and I remember rumors went around that she was a witch because she had long black hair.) Most are for kids quite a bit older than my charges, but the Eric Carle inspired projects might be fun to try with Thing 1!
August 29, 2009
Yes, I know, “Fashion Friday” would be alliterative, but it is hard to commit to posting every single Friday. Friday is tricky, as are all weekdays as I can never bank on how tired I’m going to be and how much energy I’ll be able to devote to anything when I get home. If I get home, as Friday can be – even for me, the most boring human on earth – a social night. So, in the grand tradition of SNL: Weekend Update. Bonus: I can use this space for miscellany and not just “fashion.”
I did try to document where I’m starting off in terms of “work fashion” this week, however I did run into some technical difficulties with my computer and it being totally unusable for the purposes of typing anything other than the letter “z.” (A new computer is on its way to me courtesy of some financial planning rigged up by my partner, who is in training to be the Master of the Universe. That’s not to say he’s paying for the whole thing, just that the financial side of things wouldn’t be possible if not for him. Anyway. It’s certainly an exciting end to a frustrating week!)
So, this is where I’m at. Yoga pants and layers. But it’s really hard to do layers with highs of 91F. The outfit in the middle is a non-work outfit that I wore to a BBQ (with the work-fam, actually, but I wasn’t on-duty) to show that yes, occasionally, I wear a skirt. I’m thinking that as we ease into fall, I am indeed going to invest in some leggings to layer with cotton skirts/sweater dresses. I’m hesitant on this as I have giant weird-looking knees, but they allow for a lot of layering options and are certainly easy to wash. It’s a trend I’ve eyed suspiciously, but here I am.